Wednesday, April 16, 2008

soooooosh

Alas, Virginia said no regarding an increase in my scholarship. Oh well. It didn't hurt to ask. And $10,000 a year is still nice.

Today was my third day of class and it was at Iruka. I'm very pleased with the 1st years. There are 6 of them! A much better number to work with than 4, like the 2nd years. The 3rd years were less than genki, but whatever.

After work, we went out for sushi. Unfortunately, after I had my salmon, I decided I wasn't in the mood for sushi. So I had a pumpkin mousse and then went home and ate a bunch of grapes. And some cheese.

Tomorrow is our first day with the new Kinomoto kindergarteners. I hope they're good. The Ido kids (all 9 of them) were good yesterday, not as cute as last years, unfortunately, but cute. If it doesn't rain tomorrow, they want us to go with them on a little field trip. If it does, we'll just have regular class. I'm kind of hoping for rain, just in case they turn out to be awful like the last group.

The new vice principal at Kinomoto is pretty awesome. He's been in Belgium for the last few years, and when he comes back to Kumano, they put him in the worst school in town. Nice. But he came into the office and talked to Catherine and I (in English!) for a bit. He referred to the students at his school as "naughty" (which is totally true, we didn't deny it) in this great European-accented English. He then invited us to visit his school, which I will only do because the kindergarten is in the same building. I'd rather not see the rest of those kids (with the exception of the 2nd graders).

I've been watching a lot of Numb3rs lately, especially the 3rd season, and I noticed that the actress playing Megan was a little fatter than in the other seasons. She was pregnant, of course, and so in watching episodes from earlier in her pregnancy, it was really interesting to see how they were hiding her belly. In the later episodes, she was mostly shot sitting down behind a desk, but in the earlier ones, she'd hold stuff in front of her body or stand behind something. So sneaky!

There's a weird buzzing sound going on, and I don't know where it's coming from. My computer? The kotatsu? The lights? The fridge? Can't tell. But it's irritating, so I'm going to bed.


No comments: