Sunday, March 2, 2008

yokohama yo mama

Yokohama is boring when you're alone. I realize that now.

The conference for JETs who aren't recontracting is tomorrow through Wednesday, and I came up to Yokohama today so I wouldn't have to take the early early train on Monday morning.

I got to my hotel about 3 o'clock, but check-in wasn't until 4, so I dropped off my bags and went to the history museum across the street to kill time. I'm not staying at my usual hotel choice, Toyoko Inn (which are usually awesome, except for the one at Asakusa Senzoku, as it is staffed with bitches), because they only had the expensive singles available, so I went with a place on almost the same street that was 2000yen a night cheaper.

Anyway, the history museum was nice. I like stuff like that. And they had these enormous pictures of Perry in Japan-o-vision, in which all gaijin look like giant-nosed monsters, which was a nice touch.

I got back to the hotel and ironed all my clothes again, since they got wrinkled on the way up. Then I looked up the location of the nearest Mosburger and went there for dinner. I was kind of paranoid walking there, as I was by myself and I'm not at all familiar with Yokohama. But I managed to get there and back without damage, and it's not that cold out, so I didn't freeze either.

Tomorrow should be better, as people I know will be here for the conference, the lucky ones that don't live 5 hours out like I do.

I'm thinking I'll go to the Ramen Museum to eat before the conference. At the museum, there are restaurants that serve the different kinds of ramen you can get in Japan, and much to my delight, there is a Fukuchan. I think I went to a Fukuchan with my host family in Fukuoka, and it was super delicious, as most Hakata-style tonkotsu ramen is. I mean, it might not be Ichiran, but it's close. I might try the "mini ramen" that is advertised in the brochure, or I might go all out and get a big bowl, since I'll be at the conference until 6:30 at least.

Yokohama also has the biggest Chinatown in Japan, and the dinner I had there the last time I was here was great. It was like seven courses for 2100yen. I was completely stuffed. So maybe something like that for dinner? Who knows.

I kind of wish I had called Kyle before I came up so we could hang out a bit. I haven't seen him since I stayed at his place before the LSAT. I'm a bad friend.

I took the shinkansen up here from Nagoya like I always do, because even though the overnight bus is soooo much cheaper, trains are the way to go. And I was fortunate enough to score a Fuji-side seat, which was great, because I have never actually seen Fuji from the shink, even though it's apparently very obvious. I think it's always been raining when I come up to Tokyo or I'm always on the wrong side, or I'm just not paying attention. Probably a combination of all of those. Anyway, I spent the whole time looking out the window, and I'm pretty sure I know where Fuji is now, but of course, there was a giant cloud sitting right on top of it, so I couldn't see it at all. Damn. I'll try again on the ride home.

Also train-related, there was a guy a few rows ahead of me who looked like homeless ana Jesus. With Japanese teeth. He had the long scraggly hair and one of those knit caps that wasn't pulled down all the way so it had the condom-tip effect going on (how do I know what that looks like, I wonder?), which I always associate with homeless people for some reason. But he had a really cute toddler, though said toddler was fussy and he had to get up and walk around with him. Fun times, I'm sure!

Okay, this has clearly gone on too long. It's because I am bored. I should just go to bed. I have to be rested for this totally useless conference. I mean, if I didn't really know what I was going to do after JET, it wouldn't be useless, but as I do, it is. Oh well, at least it's getting me out of work.

No comments: