Monday, February 25, 2008

best use of the passive, ever

The 2nens at Iruka made my year, seriously. We were playing this passive sentence construction game, kind of like MadLibs, except they pick each part of a sentence from separate word banks without looking at what other students wrote for the other parts of the sentence. Anyway, one group asked to use names other than the ones on the sheet, and I knew that some sort of debauchery would ensue, but I told them they could, and this is the gem they produced:

"Keita was loved by Mitsunobu in bed three years ago."

I don't know what was funnier--when Saki said, "Sorry, it's my fault that it's gross." (since she wrote the "three years ago" bit), or when Morio got up and started moaning and thrusting IN FRONT OF THE VISITING BAACHAN! I would've died of embarrassment if it wasn't so damn funny.

Another surprise was that Masato, the boy who rarely comes to school and never comes to English class on the days he does come, actually came to English and kind of participated, and then talked to me after class and showed me a card trick! WHAT? Too bad he didn't do any of that for the previous year and a half.

I'm also reading the infamous One L by Scott Turow, and it is scaring the bejeezus out of me. My only consolation is that it was written about thirty years ago, so maybe the situation is a little different. I guess another consolation is that I almost certainly won't get accepted to Harvard (even though they emailed me about applying), but whatever. I knew about the Socratic method before, but seeing how it actually plays out is terrifying. What the hell am I doing?

2 comments:

Alexandra said...

Josh and I laughed at the sentence. Also, that One L book can't be infamous if neither Josh or I have hear of it (Josh nor I?).

Kara said...

Maybe it's just infamous with lawyers? I've seen it mentioned on law sites before. (I think it's nor.)