Thursday, July 17, 2008

counting down the hours

Today I had my last class as an ALT. I never have to teach English again. I am tremendously happy about this.

We went to Kinomoto kindergarten and they were actually pretty good. They've been a lot better behaved the last few weeks, so I guess the new teacher is getting them in line. Excellent. I wish she worked there last year.

I still have tons of packing to do, but the weekend is coming up, so I will have plenty of time to stuff my shit into boxes and suitcases. At least I hope so. And tomorrow, Kuramoto-sensei is coming to pick up my piano, so that will give me extra room to spread stuff out.

I had thought about watching Atonement at the hotel on Tuesday, but Michelle said that it's the saddest movie she's ever seen and had to pause it to catch her breath after sobbing so hard, so I think I'll just watch Harold and Kumar again.

In other news, apparently Mattel owns the drawings that those awful Bratz dolls are based on, so there's a possibility that Bratz may one day soon cease to exist. But the CEO of the company that makes Bratz made a comment that I found interesting:
"Under no circumstance will Mattel be able to assert ownership of the Bratz franchise — which will always belong to MGA[.]"
I know what he's trying to say, but it almost sounds like he would burn the place to the ground if the future rulings didn't go his way, just to prevent Mattel from taking over. It made me laugh.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I didn't know mattel owned the bratz line! The horror!!! I hate those dolls. Barbie will always be better than any other doll.

Kara said...

Well, they don't really own them. Yet. Apparently the guy who came up with the concept drawings was under contract with Mattel at the time, so they owned whatever he came up with while he worked for them, and then he left and took the drawings with him and that's what those awful Bratz are based on. So Mattel at least owns the concept of Bratz, if not the actual dolls themselves.